BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Selasa, 23 Juni 2009

Direct and Indirect Speech

Direct speech discussion which it’s voice is direct listened fran one who converse.

Indirect speech discussion which it’s voice is indirectly from one who converse but summited to others with utterance which is not similiar but same purpose and objective.

Example :


Direct Speech

Indirect Speech
1. Nina said,
“I am tired”.
2. Mrs.Mami said,
“I go to the office”.
1. Nina said that she was tired.

2. Mrs.Mami said that he went to the office


1. If the main verb of the sentence is in the past (e.g.said), the verb in the noun clause clause is usually also in a past form. Notice the verb form changes in the example below.
Direct speech Indirect speech
a. Vita said, “I study hard.”
b. Vito said, “I am plying foot ball.”
c. Nadia said, “I have written a letter for my niece.”
d. Rosa said, “I listened to the music.”
e. Ronald said, “I am going to type my assignment.”
f. Rio said, “I will buy a mobile phone.”
g. Putri said, “I can swim very well.”

h. Ajeng said, “I may go to the bookstore.” Vita aid hat she studied hard.
Vito said that he was playing footall.
Nadia said that she had written a letter for her niece.
Rosa said that she had listened to the music.
Ronald said that he was going to type his asssignment.
Rio said that he would buy a mobile phone.
Putri said that she could swim very well.
Ajeng said that she might go to the bookstore.

2. If the main verb of the sentence is in the present (e.g.says), no change is made in the verb tense or modal in the noun clause.

Direct speech Indirect speech
a. Aldo says, “I eat fried chicken.”
b. Rizal says, “I am reading a Harry Potter novel.”
c. Mrs.Harry says, “I cooked roasted beef.”
d. Mr.Indra says, “I will get the news on tsunami.” Aldo says that he eats fried chicken.
Rizal says that he is reading a Harry Potter novel.
Mrs.Harry says that she cooked roasted beef.
Mr.Indra says that he will get the news on tsunami.

3. When you change a direct speech into the indirect form, you also change the adverb of time.
Direct Indirect
Now
Today
Tomorrow

Next. . .
Last. . .
. . . ago
Yesterday
The day before yesterday
Here
this
these Then
That day
The next day, the day after, the following day
The. . . after ;the following. . .
The. . . before, the previous. . .
. . . before
The day before
Two days before
There
That
those


The are three kinds of indirect speech :
1) Comand/request
Example : -Mrs.Gunawan said to the children “be quiet.” (Direct)
-Mrs.Gunawan ordered the children to be quit. (Indirect)
2) Question
Example : -Rosa asked Rio, “could I borrow your english book?” (Direct)
-Rosa asked Rio if /whether she could borrows his english book. (Indirect)
3) Statement
Example : -Tina said, “I studied hard for the test last night”. (Direct)
-Tina said that she had studied hard for the test the night before. (Indirect)

0 komentar: