BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Selasa, 23 Juni 2009

Modals in Past From

1. Could + Verb1
 Formula : S + Could +V1 + O
Ex : You could go to school with me.
2. Might + Verb1
 Formula : S + might +V1 + O
Ex : He might be at the library.
3. Would + Verb1
 Formula : S +Would +V1 + O
Ex : When I was a child, I would visit my grandfather every Sunday.
4. Would + mind + V-ing
 Formula : Would + S + mind + V-ing + O + ?
Ex : Would you mind posting the letter?
5. Should + Verb1
 Formula : S + Should + V1 + O
Ex : You should take these pilis and have a rest
1) CAN (Dapat)
a. Can is used to express ability / possibility,
Ex : I can run fast
b. Can is used to express informally to request permission, especially if the speaker is talking to someone s/he knows fairly well.
Ex : Can I borrow your pen?
c. Can is used to express informal polite request.
Ex : Can you pass the salt?
d. Can is used to express impossibility (negative only).
Ex : That can not be true.

2) SHALL (Akan)
a. Shall is used to express polite question to make a suggestion. Shall is used with “I” or “We” as subject in a question, the speaker is usually making a suggestion and asking another person if s/he agress with this suggestion.
Ex : Shall I open the window? Is that okay with you?
b. Shall is used to express future with “I” or “We” as subject.
c. Ex : I shall arrive at nine.

3) WILL (Akan)

a. Will is used to express 100% certainty.
Ex : He will be here at 06:00.(future only)
b. Will is used to express Willingness.
Ex : The telephone is ringing. I’ll get it.
c. Will is used to express polite request.
Ex : Will you please pass the salt?
4) MAY (Mungkin)
a. May is used to express Polite request.
Ex : May I borrow your pen?
b. May is used to express formal permission.
Ex : You may leave the room.
c. May is used to express less than 50% certainty.
Ex : - Where is Jhon?
- He may be at the library.

 Modals in past room
1) COULD (Dapat) is past form of CAN to Express:
a. Past ability.
Ex : I could run fast when I was a child.
b. Polite request
Ex : - Could I borrow your pen?
- Could you help me?
c. Suggestion
Ex : I need help in math. You could talk to you teacher.
d. Less than 50% certainty.
Ex : Where is John? He Could be at home.
e. Impossibility (Negative only)
Ex : That could not be true!
2) Should (Akan)
Should is past form of shall. Should is used to express :
a. Advisability
Ex : I should study tonight.
b. 90% certainty.
Ex : She should do well on the test.(future only, not present)
3) Would (Akan)
Would is past form of will. To express:
a. Polite request
Ex : Would you please pass the salt?
b. Preference
Ex : I would rather go to the park than stay home.
c. Repeated action in the past.
Ex : When I was a child, I woud visit my grandparents every weekwnd.
 Would you mind?(formal).
Ex : Would you mind if I is followed by the simple past?

4) MIGHT (Mungkin)

Might is past form of may. To express:
a. Less than 50% certainty.
Ex : He might be at the library.
a. Polite request(rare)=formal
Ex : Might I borrow your pen?

0 komentar: